Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lesson from my scar

It has been almost one year since I had my muscle biopsy.  It was supposed to be a simple procedure with a 2 day recovery.  Instead of a 1 hour hospital stay, I was there for 10 hours.  Couldn't wake up from the surgery.  But I did wake up, phew.  Prior to the surgery the doctor told me he would take out a chunk about the size of the tip of my pinkie.  Cool, that's not a big deal.  Except that I think I misunderstood him and he actually said the size of an elephants pinkie.  After the second day of recovery I was still in bed unable to move.  After a week, I was still hobbling and after a month I was able to walk on both legs.  A MONTH!!  I was happy to be feeling better a month later and really hoping that they got a good enough piece to find a diagnosis.  They did.  

Here is what my scar looks like almost one year later....  The doctor said I wouldn't be able to see it at all and even though I do, I like it.  It's a part of me and a daily reminder to not take life for granted.

It has been a very long process to get the exact answer and we are still not there but getting close.  After the initial testing I learned that my muscles and nerves were dying because of a mitochondrial disease.   Since that time I have seen 2 different specialist and have been waiting a LONG time to have that muscle sent off to a special lab for further testing.   It was supposed to have been sent out over 2 months ago but due to "human error" it wasn't.  I received a phone call the other day from the wonderful nurse practitioner that she sent it off to the lab!! She has taken over my case and is taking care of everything that was supposed to be getting done a while ago.  I am so grateful for her!  Now we sit back, wait and pray for the answers.  It will take about 2 months before the results come in but knowing that they have FINALLY been sent is wonderful.  There is still a chance that the muscle won't be good enough (it has been frozen for a year and embedded into the cork it was stored on) so if that happens.... well, we'll deal with that later.  I'm not sure my body wants to go through another biopsy any time soon.

Lesson of the day: live life to the fullest in complete joy


  1. praying for you friend. you piece of muscle is going to be fine i just know it. getting biopsy sent & (not sent) can be so frustrating. Remember GOD is holding you in his hands. xxO

  2. Yes! Today is ALL we have (in this life)! Yesterday is but a memory! AND there is no guarantee of tomorrow!
    Seize the day!

    Good reminder!
    Praying for Good News & Peace of Mind in the form of answers!


  3. Very inspiring and touching post. Praying for complete healing!


  4. Hang in there Karen as you wait. I know it is not easy and I admire your positive outlook.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...