Monday, July 2, 2012

i said i wouldn't

My brother, sister and I were laying on the carpet hands holding our chins up as we were watching Different Strokes.  We were just about to find out what Willis was talkin' about when my dad said to turn the t.v off, we were going out to dinner.  All three of us simultaneously whined and said no.  NOT something you should ever say to a parent.  Our t.v privileges were taken away.  I don't even know for how long but this happened close to 30 years ago and I still remember it very clearly.  At that time, I vowed to never, I repeat, never take the t.v away from my children.  7 1/2 years after having my first child, the remote is hidden and they can't watch t.v anymore.  I totally went back on my word and became my parents.  The kids were glued to the t.v and when a commercial came on they would whine about how bored they were.  I listened to them for the 3 minutes of commercials when they would run back to their worn out spot on the couch to watch the rest of the episode.  I was not met with the same resistance that I gave my parents but they were not exactly happy to be told no more t.v.  Their behavior changed immediately for the better.  No more crappy kids shows teaching them it's ok to sneak out of the house or talk back to their parents.  I am now making a new vow to myself to monitor what is on and for how long.  I am not taking it away permanently but I get a say as to what they watch.  The only downside to taking away the t.v is the mess from all the toys but that's ok.  I would much rather their minds have the ability to create on their own than be brain washed into watching 4 hours of a Spongebob marathon.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes.... I have taken the tv away a number of times and it always seems to make a worse punishment for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Karen!! Whatever works right? I personally can't stand the television, it is so loud and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow good for you! Once I have kids I don't imagine I'd ever have the patience to take the TV away... but mabe I should consider it if it makes better kids in the long run :)

    ps. I LOVE different strokes!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  4. though i don't have children yet, i am with you on taking the t.v. away in those instances. i remember babysitting for a family that literally let their children watch t.v. as much as they wanted/whenever they wanted. the kids were brainwashed and totally in another world.
    i really admire you and your approach.
    balance is everything. :)
    i hope you're doing well. you've been in my prayers each day and night!!
    wishing you and your family a wonderful and happy fourth!!
    xoxox
    maria <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how much we turn into our parents even when it's the last thing we want to do? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...